This is a common sense guide to building a business from a really decent, unassuming, salt of the earth guy who built a really big business, CDBaby. He focuses on all the right stuff–customers over self, rewards over punishment, action over excuses, smiles over fancy MBA stuff.
The wisdom in here is incredibly subtle but exists in spades. Some of my favorites:
– If you’re not saying “HELL YEAH!” about something, say “no”.
– When you make a company, you make a utopia. It’s where you design your perfect world. (So do it!)
– “Revolution” is a term that people use only when you’re successful. Before that, you’re just a quirky person who does things differently.
– Resist the urge to punish everyone for one person’s mistake. (Re: infrastructure and policy)
– In a perfect world, would your website be covered with advertising?
This book is a little gem. It’s an easy, swift read–good for when you need a quick reminder of what’s real and matters most: the goods and services that you have on offer and the values and beliefs that back them up.